Workaround for short search terms?

How to configure and adapt Aimeos based shops as developer
Forum rules
Always add your Aimeos and PHP version as well as your environment (Linux/Mac/Win)
Spam and unrelated posts will be removed immediately!
swpierce

Workaround for short search terms?

Post by swpierce » 07 Dec 2015, 15:42

Our hosting server has the mysql configuration set to ft_min_word_len = 4 and we have product names with 3-letter words (such as 'May'). When a customer tries to search for the word 'May' that word is ignored. I thought I remembered seeing in the documentation somewhere a workaround for dealing with shorter search terms but I can't find it now.

Short story: we can't change the configuration on the hosting server. I'm not sure the best way to handle the shorter search terms. 1st thought is to override the default catalog filter search client and pad shorter search terms somehow but that seems like a bad idea the more I think about it.

Anyone point me towards the right direction?

aimeos
Administrator

Re: Workaround for short search terms?

Post by aimeos » 07 Dec 2015, 16:33

swpierce wrote: Short story: we can't change the configuration on the hosting server. I'm not sure the best way to handle the shorter search terms. 1st thought is to override the default catalog filter search client and pad shorter search terms somehow but that seems like a bad idea the more I think about it.
Our documentation only lists how to change the MySQL setting:
https://aimeos.org/docs/Administrators/ ... mum_length

There's one last resort if nothing else is possible:
You can use the "Default" implementation for the catalog index text manager instead of the "MySQL" one. But beware: This will slow down full text search as it will executing something similar to a LIKE search and this is extremely slow if you have more than a few texts ...
Professional support and custom implementation are available at Aimeos.com
If you like Aimeos, Image give us a star