Help for integrating the Laravel package
Forum rules: Always add your Laravel, Aimeos and PHP version as well as your environment (Linux/Mac/Win)
#5369 by snavebelac
09 Jan 2018, 20:21
I'm working with a customer on creating a new ecommerce site. I've used Laravel extensively in the past and am considering AIMEOS for the ecommerce project.

Aimeos seems to cover all the core ecommerce functionality but I wonder if anyone can let me know if it can also handle the follwoing:

The customer uses an EPOS system that can send product and stock data in a fixed CSV format each night This data can be used to update the product information and stock levels on the website. Can Aimeos run an import on a nightly basis to update existing product and import new product as well as update stock levels as required? the format of the CSV is fixed and cannot be changed.

Many Thanks in advance.

C
#5370 by aimeos
09 Jan 2018, 21:41
snavebelac wrote:The customer uses an EPOS system that can send product and stock data in a fixed CSV format each night This data can be used to update the product information and stock levels on the website. Can Aimeos run an import on a nightly basis to update existing product and import new product as well as update stock levels as required? the format of the CSV is fixed and cannot be changed.


You have to create your own importer for products and stock levels that reads the CSV file and imports the data by using the Aimeos manager objects. You can find an article how to implement a new job controller for the imports here:
https://aimeos.org/docs/Developers/Controller/Implement_job_controller

You can also have a look at the existing CSV importer for reference:
https://github.com/aimeos/ai-controller-jobs/blob/master/controller/jobs/src/Controller/Jobs/Product/Import/Csv/Standard.php
#5371 by snavebelac
10 Jan 2018, 12:13
Thanks for the info. Can that be used to update stock across multiple products on a regular basis (nightly at least)? Is the SKU used to find and update stock values?

In terms of importing new product, the customer would not necessarily want to import everything. Is it possible to extend the admin system to include a custom wizard to control the import process. E.g. The system would list all new product from the EPOS generated CSV (I'd have to write this of course) and the customer can import an individual product and assign it to the correct category, brand etc? A custom Aimeos importer would then take over to insert the product into the shop.

In future they may change their EPOS so a new import wizard may need to be written and hopefully all the existing product can remain in place. I need a layer between the EPOS and the online shop that can be changed in future should a new EPOS be implemented.

Hope that makes sense.
#5377 by aimeos
11 Jan 2018, 14:05
snavebelac wrote:Thanks for the info. Can that be used to update stock across multiple products on a regular basis (nightly at least)? Is the SKU used to find and update stock values?


Yes, that's the way it works.

snavebelac wrote:In terms of importing new product, the customer would not necessarily want to import everything. Is it possible to extend the admin system to include a custom wizard to control the import process. E.g. The system would list all new product from the EPOS generated CSV (I'd have to write this of course) and the customer can import an individual product and assign it to the correct category, brand etc? A custom Aimeos importer would then take over to insert the product into the shop.


Yes, you can extend the admin interface to list new products before import but that only makes sense if there are only a few ones. Otherwise, it's too much work for the shop owner. I would suggest to import the products by either using the existing CSV importer if the CSV format isn't entirely fixed or by creating a custom CSV importer. The shop owner can then sort the product list to display new products first (you can also implement your own panel that does that by default) and he can then assign categories and add more data as needed.

snavebelac wrote:In future they may change their EPOS so a new import wizard may need to be written and hopefully all the existing product can remain in place. I need a layer between the EPOS and the online shop that can be changed in future should a new EPOS be implemented.


The interface between the system and the shop would be the CSV file. If it changes, you have to adapt the importer but nothing else.