Multiple payment types for a single order

How to configure and adapt Aimeos based shops as developer
Forum rules
Always add your Aimeos and PHP version as well as your environment (Linux/Mac/Win)
Spam and unrelated posts will be removed immediately!
swpierce

Multiple payment types for a single order

Post by swpierce » 05 Dec 2015, 01:59

We are working on building a customer loyalty program. At some point, customers will have built up a point value that we want them to be able to use for purchases. Let's say, for example, that 1 point is worth $1.00. Customer A has 15 points in their account and wants to purchase $35 of product. I need to be able to let them specify how many of their points they would like to use on a particular purchase and, if the point value is less than the order value, accept credit card or paypal or whatever for the difference.

Somewhat related, will there be any major issue if we add a column to the users table? Will that cause issues with future releases or prevent us from being able to upgrade?

Thanks!

aimeos
Administrator

Re: Multiple payment types for a single order

Post by aimeos » 05 Dec 2015, 11:37

swpierce wrote:We are working on building a customer loyalty program. At some point, customers will have built up a point value that we want them to be able to use for purchases. Let's say, for example, that 1 point is worth $1.00. Customer A has 15 points in their account and wants to purchase $35 of product. I need to be able to let them specify how many of their points they would like to use on a particular purchase and, if the point value is less than the order value, accept credit card or paypal or whatever for the difference.
Aimeos can at least store more than one payment type for an order but I would use a basket plugin that adds a discount product to the basket with a negative price. Thus, you don't have to adapt the whole system to work with several payment providers flawlessly.
swpierce wrote:Somewhat related, will there be any major issue if we add a column to the users table? Will that cause issues with future releases or prevent us from being able to upgrade?
No, that wouldn't be a problem. The user table already contains columns not managed by Aimeos. If you contribute this feature (new column, adapt customer item and manager, basket plugin and the new subpart in the payment step of the checkout process), then you won't have any issues at all :-)

BTW: We are working on the next major release that will surface in ca. four weeks. I would recommend to implement that feature already on the dev-master branch if you plan to upgrade.
Professional support and custom implementation are available at Aimeos.com
If you like Aimeos, Image give us a star

swpierce

Re: Multiple payment types for a single order

Post by swpierce » 05 Dec 2015, 14:13

Aimeos can at least store more than one payment type for an order but I would use a basket plugin that adds a discount product to the basket with a negative price. Thus, you don't have to adapt the whole system to work with several payment providers flawlessly.
Sounds great. We were leaning towards something along those lines. We wanted to make sure we weren't overlooking anything and make sure we weren't making things difficult for ourselves!
BTW: We are working on the next major release that will surface in ca. four weeks. I would recommend to implement that feature already on the dev-master branch if you plan to upgrade.
Many thanks for the heads up! We haven't updated sine we started working on the site but since it's live now, seems like a good time to do so :)