Disappearing Category?

Questions around the TYPO3 integration and plugins
Forum rules
Always add your TYPO3, Aimeos and PHP version as well as your environment (Linux/Mac/Win)
Spam and unrelated posts will be removed immediately!
superscotty19

Disappearing Category?

Post by superscotty19 » 28 Jun 2019, 08:19

Hi,

TYPO3 8.7
Aimeos 18.10

Totally baffled here. I've created many categories without problem. However, one of them, after being created, doesn't appear in the category list. I re-create it and get a duplicate error - see screenshot.

Glitch?
-S.
Attachments
Screenshot_2019-06-28 Dutch Cycle Lightning [TYPO3 CMS 8 7 4].png
Screenshot_2019-06-28 Dutch Cycle Lightning [TYPO3 CMS 8 7 4].png (30.11 KiB) Viewed 3407 times

aimeos
Administrator

Re: Disappearing Category?

Post by aimeos » 28 Jun 2019, 10:20

Most likely you've managed to created or moved it out of the tree so it's besides your "Catalog" category. The admin interface doesn't show it but it's in the database. Remove it from your database and create it again within the tree. We will see if we can show all top level categories in the future.
Professional support and custom implementation are available at Aimeos.com
If you like Aimeos, Image give us a star

superscotty19

Post by superscotty19 » 29 Jun 2019, 01:05

Hey,

I thought that might be it so I went into the database. I didn't know which table (they're all still labelled mshop_*???"). Anyway, I found categories in mshop_catalog, and the category in question was completely wrong. How could that happen when 44 other categories - created the exact same way - didn't do that? So, I changed it to the proper parentid, siteid, and level then cleared the cache via Install Tool .... but still not showing. Is there something I'm missing?

-S.

aimeos
Administrator

Post by aimeos » 29 Jun 2019, 10:23

It still seems to be possible to create a situation where no parent category is selected and you can create a new one. That is added next to the first top level category then.

The data structure in mshop_catalog is a nested set and the nleft/nright values are important. Simply delete the category in question and recreate it in the admin interface.

superscotty19

Post by superscotty19 » 29 Jun 2019, 20:04

Hey,

Deleting it worked, of course, but I really wanted to avoid that because all products that referenced that category also referenced the old ID. New category = New ID -> catalogue with hundreds of products needs to be redone. Also, re-creating the category has now put it at the bottom of the menu list, when it needs to be at the top ... and drag and drop doesn't save. Does this mean I need to re-create ALL the categories???

On a related note, creating categories is a nightmare. I click on a category and it doesn't "Stick". So, when I go to create a sub-category within that category, because the initial category didn't work, the sub-category gets put in some random location.

I am VERY frustrated right now. This is glitch, plain and simple, and needs to be fixed.
-S.

superscotty19

Post by superscotty19 » 30 Jun 2019, 00:01

Here's proof of my rage: When I go to Categories, sometimes 2 categories get selected (?). If I don't notice and, say, delete a sub-category but, say, the main category is selected, then the main category gets deleted and I have to START OVER. This has happened no less than 3 times and I can't tell you how many hours I've lost. In addition to fixing the glitch, I recommend an identifier to go with the deletion prompt; something like, "Are you sure you wish to delete Category 'x'?".

-S.
Attachments
Screenshot_2019-06-29 Dutch Cycle Lightning [TYPO3 CMS 8 7 4].png
Screenshot_2019-06-29 Dutch Cycle Lightning [TYPO3 CMS 8 7 4].png (6.62 KiB) Viewed 3378 times

aimeos
Administrator

Post by aimeos » 30 Jun 2019, 10:17

Sorry for that! Can you reproduce when two categories are selected?

aimeos
Administrator

Post by aimeos » 30 Jun 2019, 10:37

Some hints regarding managing categories:
- If you create a new category and click on "Save", the current category will be the new one. When you create another category, it will be a sub-category of the new one (expected behavior)
- If you create a new category and click on "Save & New", the parent category will stay the current one. When you create another category, it will be placed after the previously created one (expected behavior)
- When you delete the currently selected category, a modal screen appears that requires confirmation (expected behavior, see screenshot). It doesn't tell you which category/categories it is going to delete and that might be helpful
aimeos-admin-catalog.png
aimeos-admin-catalog.png (65.35 KiB) Viewed 3371 times
So we only have to fix the bug that there may be more than one category selected. Do you agree?

aimeos
Administrator

Post by aimeos » 30 Jun 2019, 20:33

Found the problem when multiple categories are selected. This pre-release fixes it:
https://aimeos.org/fileadmin/download/a ... 0-pre2.zip

superscotty19

Post by superscotty19 » 02 Jul 2019, 04:10

Hi,

WOW. First and foremost, thank you for such a quick fix. I feel really bad that I went so crazy when such a dedicated team is working behind the scenes. I'll do my best to make up for that with extensive testing. On that note ...

pre2 is installed and my tree is as follows:
Attachments
Screenshot_2019-07-01 Dutch Cycle Lightning [TYPO3 CMS 8 7 4].png
Screenshot_2019-07-01 Dutch Cycle Lightning [TYPO3 CMS 8 7 4].png (10.72 KiB) Viewed 3355 times