Property vs Attribute

Help for integrating the Laravel package
Forum rules
Always add your Laravel, Aimeos and PHP version as well as your environment (Linux/Mac/Win)
Spam and unrelated posts will be removed immediately!
tblanchard

Property vs Attribute

Post by tblanchard » 14 Feb 2023, 11:03

I'm confused as to the difference.

Trying to import some products, need to create a product type with a set of descriptive flags like "is_for_kids", as well as a set of dimensions that are kind of unusual and then I have color variants as well.

Are these attributes, or properties?

I also find the admin UI really clumsy for trying to define this stuff and find myself using a database table editor more and more but that's maybe another issue.

I have build a shop on Solidus before and properties were things like color so I'm hoping this is similar.

aimeos
Administrator

Re: Property vs Attribute

Post by aimeos » 15 Feb 2023, 07:58

tblanchard wrote: 14 Feb 2023, 11:03 I'm confused as to the difference.
Properties are not shared between products, attributes are and can build a filter in the frontend.
tblanchard wrote: 14 Feb 2023, 11:03 Trying to import some products, need to create a product type with a set of descriptive flags like "is_for_kids", as well as a set of dimensions that are kind of unusual and then I have color variants as well.
Dimensions are always properties because they are unique for each product. The "is_for_kids" may be an attribute if you want to allow the customers to filter products by its values.
tblanchard wrote: 14 Feb 2023, 11:03 I also find the admin UI really clumsy for trying to define this stuff and find myself using a database table editor more and more but that's maybe another issue.
The UI is built for flexibility and giant amounts of data. If you only need to show a limited set of attributes, you can overwrite the template of the sub-panel and display a few multi-select boxes instead.
tblanchard wrote: 14 Feb 2023, 11:03 I have build a shop on Solidus before and properties were things like color so I'm hoping this is similar.
Seems like properties in Solidus are named attributes in Aimeos.
Professional support and custom implementation are available at Aimeos.com
If you like Aimeos, Image give us a star

dan-hls

Post by dan-hls » 06 Apr 2023, 20:00

Hello, please how can I add new product types, which I take are "properties" in Aimeos.
I want to add "vendors" to my product list and want to define a type for it.

Thanks in anticipation!

Piterden

Post by Piterden » 07 Jul 2023, 21:50

aimeos wrote: 15 Feb 2023, 07:58 Properties are not shared between products, attributes are and can build a filter in the frontend.
What do you mean "not shared between products"? Do you mean a property key or a property value?
Can you give an example please?

aimeos
Administrator

Post by aimeos » 08 Jul 2023, 14:58

The property value isn't shared between products but each product can have properties of the same type. A good example are ISBN number of books or EAN codes of products (if not used as SKU).
Professional support and custom implementation are available at Aimeos.com
If you like Aimeos, Image give us a star